- Rent the smallest amount of space you will need and pack the unit full.
- Start by gathering as many boxes as you think you will need as well as tape, markers, and packing material (e.g., foam shipping noodles, bubble wrap, packing paper or towels).
- If possible, try to use uniformly sized boxes for easy stacking.
- Make up an inventory list of your items and keep it in a safe place (at home or in a safe deposit box) away from the unit.
- List contents of boxes on all four sides; number the boxes and seal with tape.
- Be sure your boxes are strong enough to hold 25-30 pounds (although we suggest not putting too much in each box).
PACKING & STORAGE TIPS
- Prepare your space by placing a protective cover on the floor under your goods.
- If renting a drive up/exterior unit, place your storage items on 2x4 boards or on pallets to guard against dampness. The concrete floor may become cold and damp.
- Do not store anything COMBUSTIBLE (e.g., paint thinner, gasoline, solvents, or paint).
- Dishes and glasses should be wrapped in paper and packed in sturdy boxes. Stack them on top.
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard, marked “FRAGILE” and stacked on end.
- Avoid placing sharp or heavy objects on top of upholstered furniture.
- Cover stuffed furniture with cardboard or blankets to protect against dust.
- If you stand mattresses on their sides, prop them up so they stand straight. Otherwise, they tend to bend out of shape and become lumpy.
- Wipe any items made of metal - bikes, metal tables, tools, etc. - with machine oil to prevent rusting.
- Plan your storage space. Place items that you may need to access often in the front of the unit.
- Try to leave an aisle down the center of the storage unit for easier access. Leave a small space between the walls and boxes to allow for air circulation.
- Stack heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter boxes on top.
- Put TVs and other electronics in the rear of your unit.
- Shovels, hoes, rakes, and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside each other.
- Tables that have removable legs should be broken down to save space.
- Sofas and loveseats can be stored on end to save floor space. Wrap cushions in plastic and place on top of sofas.
- Larger appliances make excellent “packaging cases” for blankets, towels, tablecloths and clothes.
- Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for pictures, knick-knacks, china, silverware, small items, etc. Wrap them in tablecloths, towels, or blankets to prevent breakage.
Shop USA Storage for affordable moving boxes, packing tape, wardrobe boxes, TV kits, packing paper and other moving and storage supplies.
Weather-Resistant Laminated 'Survivor' Padlock 44mm.
Paper Packing Tape
Tears easily by hand - Self-sticking tape, no water needed. Assembles 1 to 5 boxes 2in. x 90ft.
Ideal for heavy items such as books, tools, CD's or record albums 16 x 12 x 12.
Ideal for kitchen items, small appliances and toys 18 x 18 x 16.
Ideal for lightweight, bulky items such as lampshades, electronic equipment or clothing 18 x 18 x 24.
Ideal for lightweight, bulky items such as linens, comforters, pillows and towels 24 x 18 x 24.
Ideal for packing up your closet and dresser. Wardrobe bar included. 24 x 21 x 48.
Ideal to keep your artwork, photographs, mirrors, or any wall item in mint condition 37 x 4 x 27.
Specifically designed for televisions, microwaves or stereo components 24 x 24 x 20.
Dish Barrel Box
Specifically designed with double-walled extra protection for china, antiques or fragile items 18 x 18 x 28.
Dish Barrel Cell Kit
Designed to separate the Dish Barrel Box into compartments to isolate and protect fragile items.
Clean, white newsprint for packing dishes, glasses and other miscellaneous items 200 sheets 24in. x 27in.
Nylon Tie-Down Rope
Ideal for securing items to prevent movement and/or damage 3/16in. x 50ft.
Mattress Bag - Twin
Keep mattress and box springs clean while protecting against soil, dust and water damage 85 x 39 x 8.
Mattress Bag - Full
Keep mattress and box springs clean while protecting against soil, dust and water damage 85 x 54 x 8.
Mattress Bag - Queen
Keep mattress and box springs clean while protecting against soil, dust and water damage 90 x 60 x 8.
Mattress Bag - King
Keep mattress and box springs clean while protecting against soil, dust and water damage 94 x 78 x 8.
Cover your stored items indoors to protect from dust and outside to protect from the elements 9' x 12'.
Cover your stored items indoors to protect from dust and outside to protect from the elements 12' x 16'.